Tuesday, October 03, 2006

I Should Have Gone Into Computers

If there was one thing I would have done differently, it would have been to get a degree in computer science for my undergrad.

The five years following graduation from the U of MN with a degree in finance was largely spent collecting rejection letters because the U of MN's Carlson School of Ass Kissing and Brown Nosing...err...I'm sorry, I meant to say "Management" is no rival for Wharton, U of Chicago or Anderson...then again, I did work with some people from Kellogg who proved to me that a highly ranked school doesn't necessarily produce smart people.

Regardless, that's why I live somewhat vicariously through

http://ianozsvald.com/

Always had this curiousity about computers. Computer/engineers feel the same about finance. We could in a sense of the word "trade our trades" (HA!! Get it, "trade" our "trades" The pun? I mean, how I juxtaposed the two words that are spelled the same, YET HAVE DIFFERENT MEANINGS? heh? get it?)

Regardless go to Ian's site and to pick up some Entrepreneurial Geekiness

2 comments:

El Borak said...

No, you shouldn't have. I went into it and spent the next 15 years trying desparately to get out. Finally I did (company went bust) and after stints as a writer, mining company faceman, and the voice of Sauron (PIO for the state attorney general) I got back into computers at about half pay while I try to get the degree I really wanted.

Sure, the money's good when the market's hot. But all things being equal, I'd rather be an historian...

Frank said...

Well you shouldn't get into it if you're not truly interested in the field. I'm a software engineer and i've enjoyed my career so far. But if you're not gonna enjoy it, don't bother, because if you don't have a real interest in the technology (apart from the remunuration you'll receive), you'll never be interested enough to keep up with the pace and changes in technology and you just fall behind.

Is the money hot when the market's good for historians? ;) I guess the computer industry helps pay for your degree there...