Friday, May 30, 2008

North Korea Has Some of the Cheapest Beer in the World

I found it interesting that North Korea has some of the cheapest beer in the world, costing only 61 cents. Ethiopia is even cheaper at just 30 cents a beer. It's also interesting that dictatorships seem to have the cheapest beer.

Meanwhile the leftists' paradise of Norway charges you $13 for a beer, and I'm never visiting the Marshall Islands.


Regardless, it reminds me of the time I went to a town called Sublette, Kansas enroute to New Mexico. It was late at night and I was planning to make it all the way to Santa Fe when I decided to pull into the "Walk in Waddle Out" bar in town.

It was their grand opening and they had; 25 cent beers and $1 cocktails.

My vacation plans changed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do dictatorships like a well-soused populace? They'll be too drunk to be effective, with lowered inhibitions you can spot the insurgents, and it'll keep the marginal supporters happier than if they were dry.

Anonymous said...

I have a theory. Demand for alcohol is relatively inelastic and it doesn't take a whole lot of capital to produce it. That means that in a low income economy like those of most dictatorships, alcohol will be cheap because labor is cheap. In a wealthier economy, alcohol will be more expensive because labor is more expensive.

As for Norway, when I checked the Big Mac index for 2007 they were paying something close to $7 for a Big Mac, so high prices for beer aren't exactly a surprise.

Cappy said...

Hey, get that bottle away from Djibouti. They are Muslim, and aren't supposed to have any beer.