Sunday, May 11, 2008

Valkyrie

I've been watching this movie go through all these various production problems and it's pissing me off because this is one of the few movies I was looking forward to seeing. And I cannot help that with the Germans complaining it's Tom Cruise portraying Claus von Stauffenberg and the fact it might be a war movie that doesn't bomb elements of the left are trying to hold it back. Sadly it would be one of those movies where you would learn about history because until I read up on him I didn't know much about von Stauffberg.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

In Germany this movie has caused lively discussions about Scientology. Some wanted to prohibit the filming because Scientology is considered unconstitutional in Germany. This just shows how much power the christian church still has in German politics.

Alfred T. Mahan said...

*The Captain* "Huh, I don't know that much about this historical figure from the Second World War. Hmmmm, you know, I have a friend who was a history major. Hey, he's a military historian, too! You think he might know something about this guy? Or the Second World War in general?

No, no, that couldn't POSSIBLY be the case. I shouldn't ask HIM; he's probably NEVER heard of Colonel Graf von Stauffenberg, well-known for his Roman Catholicism and anti-Nazi activities. Nah."

Alfred T. Mahan said...

All sarcasm/kidding aside, I'll probably take a look at this film.

Andrew L said...

Quite the misleading headline the Times Online has going there. From the sounds of it, I would have thought Tom Cruise was playing Hitler.

I mean, sure the film has Hitler in it, but by that standard, Indiana Jones is a Hitler movie.

Captain Capitalism said...

Mahan,

Yeah, I know, but I don't want to abuse you like "Hey, let's call up the Cmdr. and see if he can tell me about history when I can just look it up."

Alfred T. Mahan said...

Well, I certainly didn't take that major for the employment benefits...