Sunday, October 26, 2008

Hitman vs. Bangkok Dangerous

OK, I'm going to go on a bunch of minor little posts that I haven't had time for, so here we go.

Why did I waste $9 to see Bangkok Dangerous? Here I was thinking it was going to be something really great and all it was, was a hit man hitting a midlife crisis. I then watched a 2 hour soap opera occasionally interrupted with an occasional sniper shot.

Then I see Hitman. Not expecting much. Just kind of a mindless hit man movie. Infinitely better than Bangkok Dangerous. And it gets me back to a theory I have. Those in power in Hollywood are no longer interested in making straight shot, good guy, bad guy movies. They have abandoned the traditional script to go with movies that do not tell as story, but instead go out of their way to be different.

Cohen Brothers got an Oscar.

Need I say more?

There will be a split as the 60's generation continue to pat themselves on their backs and award themselves awards for movies that the rest of the population couldn't care less about (W.) And while the market goes one way, more and more weight will be given to reviews by FHM, bloggers and so forth as they actually respond to the real world and Oscar/Academy people respond to themselves.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Captain I think your right. To add, I also think they are more interested in making movies to impress each other. I have the same theory about and extremely improvisational jazz and modern art. It's all about pushing the edge of ones craft to gain status in their field. Of coarse if we the public don't "Get it" that's our problem. The cable channel FX has shows like "The Shield", and Nip and Tuck. They use to promote their channel with NO good or bad etc.

Anonymous said...

Bangkok Dangerous was a remake anyway... and one of the movie channels showed the original right before the release of the re-make...

(The original had the main character as a deaf hitman. I didn't really pay attention as even the original seemed fairly boring.)

Anonymous said...

I'd recommend the Hitman: Blood Money game to you Captain. The storytelling, particularly in the last couple of levels, is freaking awesome.

So the movie was good, eh? I'll have to check that out sometime.

Hot Sam said...

Bangkok Dangerous (with Nicholas Cage) was a remake of a Thai film. Watch the original and see if you like the non-Hollywood version better.

There are ZERO original ideas left in Hollywood. Nearly everything is a remake of an old movie or an old story. It's ironic that these talentless, unoriginal liberal idiots just went on strike for a share of profits on merchandising.

I think I've seen one movie in a theater year-to-date. I believe that in our lifetime we will see the end of the big screen theaters.

Let's hope the internet does away with the high-priced distributors and studios too. Ironically, foreign countries do movies right - low budget and strong on acting and message.

I highly recommend "The Lives of Others." Gives you an inside look into communist East Germany.

Anonymous said...

I recall Rush Limbaugh saying years ago:

"Prizes are things liberals give to each other."

Oscars, Emmies, Pulitzers, Nobels...it's nothing but liberals patting themselves on the back.

Michael Moore won a Palm d'Or for F911 - what a total piece of political garbage that was! And then he tries to act all surprised like he didn't know he had a chance.

If it's anti-American or about AIDS, it wins a prize.