Thursday, January 20, 2011

Cusano Cigars vs. Cuban Cohibas

Cuban cigars, as I'm sure you're well aware of are the "best" in the world.

Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jesse Ventura and well, whoever else said they were.

But, of course, all good things must come to an end, and once again capitalism has beaten the living crap out of one of the few things to maintain its decency under communism.

Cigars

Your Captain is currently in Mexico right now and exercised his Mexican right to purchase Cuban cigars (because as an AMERICAN I CAN'T buy Cuban cigars in America, because I am afterall an American).

I had one about 4-5 years ago in Canada (you can look up the video here for an excerpt of my trip). Very good. One of the best. Admittedly, I'm not an aficionado, but I do know my cigars.

That is until I found the Cusano M-1.

$4.

Smooth.

Flavorful.

But better than all that what I really liked is the fact I have NEVER had to "work" at keeping an M-1 lit. You light it once, you puff on it at your leisure and you can actually ENJOY the damn thing, rather than feel like you're trying to siphon gas or give mouth to mouth. The drag is perfect and once lit, it burns AMAZINGLY even.

Meanwhile, I just spent the better part of an hour on the beaches of the Gulf of Mexico working harder than I ever did before just to keep a damn Cuban Cohiba lit. The taste was good, don't get me wrong. But I don't want to have my moonlit night ruined huffing and puffing away at a cigar that just won't obey (and paid $13 for it!).

So do yourselves a favor. Instead of going with a has-been, just go here and order yourself some damn fine cigars. You want the-

Cusano
M-1
TORPEDO CUT

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Montecristo my good man, now that`s a good cigar.
I noticed just over the bridge from Buffalo into Canada, there are signs for Cuban cigars all over the place. Even gas stations had sandwich boards advertising that they had Cubans for sale.
In fact many American tourists will tell you, that the Cuban cigars available in Canada are a big draw. I am also told, many Americans take some back to the US, for resale at a much inflated price.

Anonymous said...

I'll give you a comment - completely off topic, but I had to post it somewhere - GE's Jeffrey Immelt gets appointed to some bullshit Presidentally appointed commission and GE's stock goes up $1.30 in one day - 7%. The investors know rent seeking works.

Watch those fortune 500 CEOs line up to kiss butt on behalf of the stockholders and make some money. They who kiss hardest fastest are the ones to follow.

Decline confirmation - it ain't about the market anymore, it's about political power.

Anonymous said...

Was this a paid ad? Hot damn, I amma' get me some cigars and buy another copy of your book while I am at it.

Kai said...

Anonymous commented on the wide availability of Cubans in Canada. Most of them are fakes. Canada alone sells more "Cuban" cigars than Cuba can make. Go figure.

Anyone who is a real cigar aficionado knows that Dominicans are the best cigars, especially the really pricey ones that use Connecticut leaf as their wrapper. MMM, mmm good.

randall g said...

Why would anyone want to smoke a cigar? I find cigarettes gross, but as a lover of fine things and a man of good taste, I am willing to be convinced.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Kai, but Cubans are regarded world wide, as the best cigars. Mind you, they have cheap Cuban cigars available,as well as the good ones.
There is also a huge black market for Cuban cigars in the USA.

Kai said...

Anonymous said:

"Sorry Kai, but Cubans are regarded world wide, as the best cigars. Mind you, they have cheap Cuban cigars available,as well as the good ones.
There is also a huge black market for Cuban cigars in the USA."

That is true among the noi polloi. But go to the best tobacconists in a city like London, and the best selling, and often most expensive cigars are Dominicans. Why? The tobacco is better, the good ones use Connecticut leaf (yeah, the one in t he US) as a wrap because it is all grown in the shade in pine forests, and Dominican tobacco is fermented three times, where as Cuban is only fermented twice. A Dominican can usually be conditioned in your humidor in a few days to really take the acidic edge of the burning tobacco. A Cuban usually requires about a year of conditioning before it smokes as smooth as a Dominican.

Just because Cuba says their Cigars are best, and just because they are banned in the US does not make them better. Believe me. I have been collecting and smoking Cigars for 20 some odd years. Dominicans rock, with Hondurans coming up a strong second. As for Cubans? Meh, I will and can do without.