Tuesday, April 03, 2012

The Captain's Great Dust Devil Adventure!

Howdy Cappy Cappites! Another exciting adventure that hopefully will be a prelude to my tornado chasing efforts I have scheduled for next week in Texas (while I will coincidentally be on a book tour as well).

This was taken about 30 miles north of Denver this past weekend. Temps got up to 84 degrees and it was warm enough to create "dust devils." Some big, some small, and some quite craptastic.

Now I know, I know, those of you in the south probably see these everyday, but in the moist, vegetative and rain soaked upper midwest, the soil is not dry or light enough to result in ANY dust devils, so to me they are really rare and really cool to see.

Here is a video of the ones I caught on tape:



Here is my all time favorite dust devil video:

4 comments:

MizuBob said...

Holy Cr*p!
You're right Captain, just don't see those kinds of things in Michigan.
Thanks for the post

Anonymous said...

Uh oh. The economy is slumping further and further with a real unemployment rate approaching 20%. Europe is looking at hyperinflating their way out of an enormous sovereign debt crisis. We have a president who is sending not-subtle messages that he may not listen to the Supreme Court's rulings on his vast expansion of federal government.

You know what this means, right?

You're in the Dust Bowl!

You need to marry a frowsy barefoot blonde, have 7 dirty little kids, lose the farm, pack up the truck and move to Cali-for-nie-ay.

History doesn't repeat itself, but frequently it rhymes.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Cool vid!

We'd see them all the time while driving through the high mesas of Mexico. Got caught in a huge one in Mexico City. Caused a total white-out while I was driving. Couldn't see the hood ornament on my own car. Scary stuff! All you can do is stop and hope the car behind you does, too.

Anonymous said...

The proper term is: Dust Elevationally Challeged Afterlife Beings.